Emergency Power System
To secure emergency power systems.
The emergency power system can include the following elements:
- Motor generator set
- Battery set
- Fuel supply tank
- Electric cable
- Power transfer unit
Recommendation — Secure Generator
Install seismic snubbers to secure motor generator set.
- Eight steel Z snubbers (or other type of seismic snubber)
- Eight expansion bolts—1/2" diameter (for concrete) OR
- Eight expansion bolts—1/2" diameter (for wood)
- Place snubbers at two sides near the corners.
- Bolt to the concrete or wood, allowing 1" free play between the generator and snubber.
- Due to size or complex design, motor generator sets and power transfer units may require more extensive mitigation design by a structural engineer.
- Equipment may already be anchored directly without using isolation springs. Consult with structural engineer to determine if seismic snubbers are necessary.
Recommendation — Secure Fuel/Water Tank
Install steel braced platforms, metal straps, and slack line to secure fuel supply tank or water day tank.
When anchoring to post-tensioned slab, locate and avoid reinforcing.
- Steel-braced platform (Consult an engineer for design.)
- Metal straps (18 gage x 2")
- Sheet metal screws—3/8"
- Flexible line
- Lag bolts or expansion bolts—3/8"
- Place a minimum of two straps (one at each end of the tank).
- Secure straps to the steel-braced platform with sheet metal screws. Attach to supporting structure with lag bolts or expansion bolts.
- Provide slack in electrical cables.
- Anchor each element in the system.
- Water Heater
- Filing Cabinets
- Small Objects
- Shelf Units
- Hanging Objects
- Floor Objects
- Wheel-Mounted Furniture
- Vending Machines
- Closed Shelves
- Display Cases
- Gas Safety
- Shop Equipment
- Full Wall Partitions
- Masonry Partitions
- Modular Partitions
- Equipment Racks
- Access Floors
- Emergency Power System
- HVAC units
- Filtration Tanks
- Suspended Ceilings
- Pendant-Mounted Lights
- Cable Trays
- Fixed Anchorage
- Exit Doors
- Rooftop Heating
- Rooftop Mechanical Units
- Space Heaters
- Suspended AC Units
- Large Windows