To reduce the potential for risks from chemical spills.
Strip - Recommendation
Install wood or Plexiglas strips or wires to restrain containers on open shelves.
- Wood or Plexiglas strip—1/8" x 1"
- Wood or sheet metal screws—No. 10 x 1"
- Wire rope—No. 12 gage
trip - Installation
- Attach a wood or Plexiglas strip to the shelf with wood or sheet metal screws.
Attach wire rope to the shelf with wood or sheet metal screws.
- Secure the wire rope with three tight turns at each end.
- Provide intermediate vertical strips where horizontal strips span more than 3'. Attach vertical strips to each shelf.
- Place horizontal restraint high enough to restrain tall objects while allowing easy access. Provide additional horizontal restraint as required for shorter objects.
Mechanical Latches - Recommendation
Secure cabinet doors with mechanical latches.
- Mechanical latches
Mechanical Latches - Installation
- Provide mechanical latches on all doors. Test latches to assure that they can remain closed during severe shaking.
- Replace magnetic latches with mechanical latches.
Glass Containers - Recommendation
Wrap fragile bottles or dangerous materials with foam rubber or rubber bands to protect
Replace glass containers with unbreakable containers.
- Foam rubber or rubber
- Rubber bands
- Store acids and other volatile chemicals separately and as close to the ground as possible.
- Store heavy containers as close to the ground as possible.
- For more information on storage of chemicals and chemical interaction contact your State Department of Ecology. For instance, the Washington State Department of Ecology has the following publication: Step-By-Step Guide for to Better LaboratoryManagement Practices, Publication No. 97-431, July 1997.
- Water Heater
- Filing Cabinets
- Small Objects
- Shelf Units
- Hanging Objects
- Floor Objects
- Wheel-Mounted Furniture
- Vending Machines
- Closed Shelves
- Display Cases
- Gas Safety
- Shop Equipment
- Full Wall Partitions
- Masonry Partitions
- Modular Partitions
- Equipment Racks
- Access Floors
- Emergency Power System
- HVAC units
- Filtration Tanks
- Suspended Ceilings
- Pendant-Mounted Lights
- Cable Trays
- Fixed Anchorage
- Exit Doors
- Rooftop Heating
- Rooftop Mechanical Units
- Space Heaters
- Suspended AC Units
- Large Windows